At Compass, our people are united by a common purpose. We’ve just embarked on an exciting journey of growth and market opportunities and are looking for passionate Senior Software Engineers to join us for the ride.
We want thinkers and problem solvers, who celebrate diversity and thrive in a collaborative team environment to join our talented product teams and help us transform the lives of teachers, students and parents all over the world through our software.
You’ll work as part of a fun, hardworking product team who take ownership of their work and love to celebrate successfully delivering wins for our customers and for Compass.
Remember how important values were for your school? It’s the same at Compass. Our values guide how and why we work.
What we’re looking for
You are an experienced Senior Software Engineer with an eagerness and willingness to invest time and effort in learning new technologies and techniques for solving difficult problems, which may involve reading academic research papers. You will have a desire to solve challenging problems with the use of research and incremental discovery and will ideally have strong skills in optimisation, statistic and/or machine learning.
You will have fundamental technical skills in the development of complex software systems, spanning from client/server, middleware and back-end, through the use of object-orientated and procedural programming languages, frameworks and libraries. You will have the ability to select and use the appropriate methodologies to support project planning, task delegation, and development cycles.
You will need to be able to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a diverse team.
What you’ll do...
- Design, develop and maintain secure, scalable software that’s used by thousands of students, parents and teachers throughout the world
- Inspire quality and best practices by championing software craftsmanship, clean code and pair programming
- Build great relationships with your team, be generous with your thoughts and feedback (and open to receiving it!)
- Grow, learn, lead and thrive in a team of humans who are committed to supporting you and helping you succeed
- Mentor your fellow colleagues and drive the architectural strategy by employing industry best practices and following Compass software engineering guidelines
- Communicate with our customers to understand their needs, and collaborate with product owners and designers to shape products to solve their problems
- Contribute to our diverse and inclusive culture and take pride in doing work that makes a real difference for school communities from Melbourne to Dubli
Who you are...
- Someone with a keen interest in developing a high-quality product while meeting company objectives with other talented developers
- Someone who is passionate about software development and actively keeps up to date with new tech
- Someone with extensive experience troubleshooting complex software systems, who can identify when a problem is worth solving for the customer and the business
- Someone who takes pride and ownership over the software they build and works to ensure customers enjoy an uninterrupted experience
- Someone with real-world experience (5+ years) in object-oriented programming languages (e.g. C#, Java, C++)
- Someone who has worked with SQL/NoSQL databases and is comfortable designing and implementing database solutions
- Bonus points for experience developing distributed software systems (microservices/micro-frontends)
- Bonus points for React Native experience, high-level Swift/Objective-C and Kotlin
- Bonus points for experience deploying software to cloud platforms (e.g. AWS/Azure)
It is a really exciting time to join Compass. We are growing fast and need people who want to grow with us.