Come shape the future of education with us.
At Compass, our people are united by a common purpose. We’ve just embarked on an exciting journey of growth and market opportunities and are looking for a passionate Software Engineer to join us for the ride.
We want thinkers and problem solvers, who celebrate diversity and thrive in a collaborative team environment to join our talented product teams and help us transform the lives of teachers, students and parents all over the world through our software.
You’ll work as part of a fun, hardworking product team who take ownership of their work and love to celebrate successfully delivering wins for our customers and for Compass.
Remember how important values were for your school? It’s the same at Compass. Our values guide how and why we work.
At Compass we;
- Work to Wow - Dynamic, enthusiastic, motivated: we aspire to break new ground. Guided by research, we constantly iterate and improve to deliver the best solution to meet the needs of our customers. We work to set the benchmark to always help.
- Conquer the impossible - When we face challenges together, few problems are unsolvable. We play to each other’s strengths and work collaboratively to achieve our shared objectives. We’re constantly creating products we stand behind in a workplace we’re proud of.
- Be the School - Teachers and students, principals and admin staff, parents and guardians: school communities make Compass. They are the reason we work tirelessly to make their lives easier and help them bring their school’s vision to life. We understand their needs, goals and ambitions in order to do our best work.
- Are Prepared, and Do it Yesterday - We plan and we prioritise but we are still agile and responsive. We work with passion and urgency, but we measure and consider variables, to deliver a high-quality solution. ‘Be Prepared’ is being ready, not reactive. We walk before we run, so we can outperform the competition and reach amazing heights they couldn’t conceive.
What you'll do:
- Design, develop and maintain secure, scalable software that’s used by thousands of students, parents and teachers throughout the world
- Inspire quality and best practices by championing software craftsmanship, clean code and pair programming
- Build great relationships with your team, be generous with your thoughts and feedback (and open to receiving it!)
- Grow, learn, lead and thrive in a team of humans who are committed to supporting you and helping you succeed
- Mentor your fellow colleagues and drive the architectural strategy by employing industry best practices and following Compass software engineering guidelines
- Communicate with our customers to understand their needs, and collaborate with product owners and designers to shape products to solve their problems
- Contribute to our diverse and inclusive culture and take pride in doing work that makes a real difference for school communities from Melbourne to Dublin
Who you are:
- Someone with a keen interest in developing a high-quality product while meeting company objectives with other talented developers
- Someone who is passionate about software development and actively keeps up to date with new tech
- Someone with extensive experience troubleshooting complex software systems, who can identify when a problem is worth solving for the customer and the business
- Someone who takes pride and ownership over the software they build and works to ensure customers enjoy an uninterrupted experience
- Someone with real-world experience (5+ years) in object-oriented programming languages (e.g. C#, Java, C++)
- Someone who has worked with SQL/NoSQL databases and is comfortable designing and implementing database solutions
- Bonus points for experience developing distributed software systems (microservices/micro-frontends)
- Bonus points for React Native experience, high-level Swift/Objective-C and Kotlin
- Bonus points for experience deploying software to cloud platforms (e.g. AWS/Azure)
Why you'll love working with us:
It is a really exciting time to join Compass. We are growing fast and need people who want to grow with us.
- Learning opportunities
- Flexible workplace
- Great Company Culture
Prior To Commencing Employment, You Require
- a valid Employee Working With Children Check
- verification of unrestricted work rights in Australia, eg citizenship, passport or birth certificate
Compass is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.